Friday, May 18, 2007

Freewill, gravity, and a screw-up.

When it comes to the issue of freewill and determinism there is always one question that I can never get out of my mind: Does God have total control over my destiny? If you say "no" then you're saying there is a limitation to God's power. I personally believe there is no limit to His power. On the other hand, if you say "yes" many would say, "Why pray or seek to change something if God has already determined it?"

Before I go on let me say that there is no denying the perception of freewill at the least. We would all agree that, at the very least, it would appear we have freewill. I do not deny that. Secondly, I completely believe that we are held responsible for our actions. We cannot pass off our bad decisions or actions on an omnipotent and omniscient Being. Thirdly, I am not saying that we do not have freewill, but this is a blog. I am simply posting thoughts and questions about life. This is a question that I have asked some intelligent individuals in the past and I ask them again.

Now, let me give you what I've got in my pinto bean shaped head so far. My answer would be "Yes, God does have total control over my destiny." Well, then why must we pray or seek to change things for the better? My answer would be: because God designed us for that purpose. If God destined it that you would pray and then He would answer, who are we (created, limited, and dependent beings) to question Him. Then you may ask: "Well, why would God punish us for doing something He determined us to do?" I would answer: God makes the rules not us. He determines what is right and what is wrong. If He determines something, again, who are we to question it. I know it seems harsh and fatalistic, but God is God. God is Good, and God is Love, and what He does is good and loving. The ultimate purpose of God is for His glory. If my demise glorifies Him then glory be His name. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I am looking for my demise, however I do hope my demise will be for the good of something. Plus, we do not know the complete will of God. We do not know what will happen tomorrow. So, who are we to say that God has not given us the desire and power to accomplish a certain task in our life.

But what about the perception of freewill? Doesn't it seem that we are the ones to decide whether we get up in the morning or not? To this I would say yes, absolutely it does! But, doesn't it seem that the reason we keep our feet on the ground is because we are beings of mass. However, we know that we keep our feet on the ground because of the rotation of the earth which causes gravity. I know this analogy has its limitations, but it could be the same with our decisions. We think that we are in control in making our own life, but in reality there is a bigger hand at the wheel in which we are too limited and small to see. A hand that is in complete control, but is beyond our realm of reference and thus we don't completely understand or realize what it is.

Maybe we believe in freewill because we are holding on to something in our life; maybe pride. If we do have freewill are we willing to give it over to God? Are we willing to let go? At times I think this because I know who I am. I know that if a mistake can happen I will make it. I know that if it can be messed up I will do it. I want God to take control because I know He is perfect, therefore everything He does is perfect.

So, do I believe in freewill? Yes, I do. Why, you may ask, after the explanation I just gave? My answer: because of the perception.

Just a Thought,
Skolex

3 comments:

jhthompson said...

Nice dive last night bro....

joel winters said...

I believe in gravity, and a free chad.

Bro. Jones said...

God does control all, but chooses not to micromanage simply to bring Himself more glory.