Monday, April 30, 2007

A Spider's Life

--A teacher and student are enjoying an afternoon walk through a city determined by the reader.--

Teacher: My son, you realize you just stepped on a spider?

Student: Good teacher, no I did not. I was not paying attention because I was so involved in our discussion.

Teacher: What an arbitrary life a spider must live.

Student: What do you mean, most wise and astute one?

Teacher: The creature simply exists to catch, kill, and suck the blood of its victims. Now, here he lays disfigured and dead on the ground.

Student: But, teacher, what if thus was the purpose of the spider?

Teacher: My good boy, no creature exists for the purpose of such an insignificant life.

Student: But, if the creature lives his purpose, how could it be insignificant?

--Around this time, Skolex walks by and wonders what they would discuss if the student stepped in the “present” a canine left just two feet to the left of the student, but one can only wonder.--

Teacher: My simple boy, you are telling me that this creature lived to kill and be killed? Not to mention that this killing and being killed were done in a small amount of time. No creature could have such a sophistical life. These creatures have no purpose. They have no reason for their being, they simply are.

Student: So, wise and honorable teacher, you are telling me that there are creatures which have a purposeless existence? Why would the Creator of all things (for the gentlemen both come from the presupposition that there is a Creator) create a pointless creature, with a pointless existence?

Teacher: You do realize what you are saying my son? You are saying that the Creator formed a creature for the sole purpose of being stepped on by you. At least, the final purpose of the creature was to be stepped on by you. What kind of purpose, life, and existence would that be?

Student: My teacher, if this spider was formed and created for the sole purpose of being stepped on by me, I would say his existence and life was successful; for he achieved the very reason for his being.

--Teacher:The teacher lost in thought did not immediately respond, so the student added.--

Student: It would seem to me that any creature which lived its purpose, however insignificant one might believe that purpose is, was successful in life.

Teacher: My son, you still have not answered why a Wise and Powerful Creator would ever form such a being for such a harsh and futile purpose.

Student: Indeed, I must admit that I am not in the state of being to explain the reasons of the Divine. I am only in a situation in which I can postulate a successful being from the Divine.

1 comment:

jhthompson said...

Top 5 in the state babyyyyyyyy! Man what an awesome sermon. The spirit man in me has overflowed into Monday.....We love you Chad!